This quick and easy English Muffin Pizza is a fun and customizable dinner option the entire family will love.
Who doesn't love pizza? 🍕 Pizza has never been my favorite food but I can't say I'm ever disappointed while eating it. A while back, we were short on ingredients to make a full fledged dinner so Alex decided to make pizza bagels and well, we haven't looked back!
Both bagels and English muffins make a great base for a pizza and we're likely to have those on hand more so than pizza dough. In a pinch, you can even use a thick slice of bread. I remember making pizza toast in college on plain white bread so if you're really pressed, you get the idea.
Pizza always and forever.
I didn't plan on posting a recipe for English Muffin Pizzas. Who really needs a recipe to toss some sauce and toppings on to the muffin and bake it? It's incredibly easy so when I was doing SEO research for the site and saw that over 10 THOUSAND people per month search for English Muffin Pizza.
Well, I felt like I owed it to you to post a recipe that's easy to follow and answers some of the questions I saw popping up.
Let's chat about how to make the easiest English Muffin Pizzas!
- English Muffins - you can also use bagels. I use Food for Life Gluten Free English Muffins which are also vegan. If you're not gluten-free, feel free to use whatever brand or homemade recipe you like best.
- Sauce - any pasta sauce or pizza sauce will work here, you can also just use crushed tomatoes with a pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Cheese - your favorite dairy-free cheese
- Toppings - the sky is the limit, let your imagination run wild and see suggestions below!
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make English Muffin Pizzas:
First, preheat the oven to 425° F. Place the English muffin halves on a baking sheet. Then, decide if you want the muffin to be crunchy or soft. If crunchy, drizzle the sliced muffins with oil and toast until golden then proceed with the recipe. If soft, immediately top with toppings.
Top the English muffin halves with chosen toppings starting with greens first, then sauce, cheese, and other toppings.
Drizzle with oil and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Hint: Depending on your chosen toppings and the size of your muffins, the baking time will vary. Simply keep an eye on them, checking every 3-4 minutes, until the muffin is crisp and the cheese is bubbly. Typically, they take about 15 minutes to 20 minutes in a preheated oven.
There are one million ways to make these English Muffin Pizzas your own! Here are some topping ideas:
- Classic - red sauce + arugula + mozzarella cheese + mushroom + onion + olive + maybe pepperoni slices or mini pepperonis if you can find a vegan version!
- BBQ - BBQ sauce + mozzarella/cheddar cheese + crispy soy curl + red onion + pineapple + jalapeño
- Buffalo - buffalo sauce + blue cheese + crispy tempeh + green onion
That's just a few ideas for English Muffin Pizza toppings, I'd love to hear what you come up with in the comment section!
Really all you need is a sheet pan! I adore the one pictured here, it's from Our Place and it's become a workhorse in my kitchen. I love that it can go from oven to stovetop, it makes such a fantastic flat top/griddle!
English Muffin Pizzas are best eaten hot right out of the oven.
If you have leftovers, I find microwaving them for about 30 seconds then toasting them in a hot oven does the trick.
The microwaving helps soften the English muffin after being refrigerated and the toasting freshens up the texture and crunch.
Toasting the English muffin before adding toppings does the trick to keep the English muffins from turning out soggy.
Did you make this recipe? Rate the recipe below via the ⭐️ + leave a comment. We love hearing from you! If you share a snap on social, be sure to tag @plantsapalooza and use the hashtag #plantsapalooza so that we can follow along!
English Muffin Pizza
- 4 English muffins split (gluten-free and/or vegan if desired)
- 1 ½ cups arugula or spinach
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese and/or parmesan I use Violife
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 ½ cups toppings see ideas in the post above
- 1 tablespoon olive oil truffle oil is also great!
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place the muffin halves cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Top with arugula, sauce, cheese, herbs, and desired toppings. Drizzle the oil over the muffins and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.